Sassy’s Easy Tomato Bisque
Hi friends! You may be wondering why I am giving you a soup recipe when it has been SO hot and humid this past week. Well for starters I love soup year round and we just happened to get some of this delicious tomato puree in our Field Goods delivery this week so I could not let it go to waste.
I also have recently been introduced to Bilinski’s Chicken Sausage and had a package on hand so I figured why not try the two together. I had a hectic week planning for a real food event and a crossfit event so there was minimal time to cook, BUT this was SO simple and delicious and the Sassy Hubby even asked for more. The great thing about a soup like this is you can add veggies and puree them so that the pickiest of eaters won’t even know! Hooray, veggies for the win! This soup even tastes delicious chilled so make sure you keep the leftovers and enjoy later.
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups fresh tomato puree
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: 1 package chicken sausage
- In a dutch oven or large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, saute for 3 minutes, until they start to sweat.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions become translucent.
- Add tomato puree, coconut milk, basil, salt and pepper.
- Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes to marry flavors.
- Using an immersion blender (or regular blender/food processor), blend on high for 1 minute until smooth in texture.
- If using sausage, sauté sausage in skillet with an additional 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil for about 5 minutes until heated through. Add to tomato soup and enjoy.
Alright, let me hear from you!
Do you think soup can be eaten year round?
What’s your favorite way to eat vegetables?