Turmeric Thyme and Honey Baked Chicken Wings
I have been craving chicken wings like crazy lately! Ordering chicken wings out is just not an option, I don’t want to eat anything that has been breaded and then deep fried in Evil Vegetable Oils so my craving went on for awhile. I finally picked up some free range chicken wings (notice how much smaller they are than the chicken wings on crack you get at a restaurant) and I couldn’t wait to get started.
Except when I did… I didn’t have any cumin. I was planning on making a sweet and spicy type wing with some fun spices but when the star of my show was missing I had to audible so I diverted my focus to turmeric. Turmeric is a herb plant in the ginger family that gets dried and ground into a bright orangey-yellow powder. It is most commonly used in curries and gives mustard is characteristic color. Traditional Chinese and Indian medicines utilize turmeric as an herbal medicine for anything from cancer to menstrual irregularities to arthritis to digestive disorders and seriously just about everything in between. It has also been widely studied for it’s anti-inflammatory properties and research has shown it’s benefit for your liver, kidneys, heart, and gut AND it works as an antioxidant. #wingsforthewin
- 1 lbs (about 1 dozen small) chicken wings
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 2-3 T honey
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- Mix salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, turmeric, and thyme in a small bowl
- Place wings in a large bowl and coat evenly with spice mixture
- Arrange wings on a lightly greased baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes, flip wings, bake for another 15 minutes
- Remove wings from oven and drizzle with honey
- Let sit for about 5 minutes for honey to warm
Now I want to hear from you!
What is your favorite herb or spice to use in cooking?
Let us know in the comments!