So recently I (Pearl) have gotten myself into the trap of not eating enough carbs. Typically this isn’t a problem and we are usually encouraging you to eat less carbs but I realized recently I have been eating less than 50 g per day which isn’t right for me and doesn’t make me feel best. Remember, everyone’s body is different so you have to figure out what works for you. Wondering how to do that? Check out episode 3 of Nutrition Genius Radio (when we were just podcast babies!) All The Carbs. If you’re finding yourself needing to increase your carb intake or are looking for a post-workout higher carb meal this Savory Oatmeal may be for you!I
Don’t forget about what we discussed on the Chocolate Almond No Bake Cookie post. While oats are gluten free they are typically processed in a place which also processes wheat-containing foods and may be cross contaminated. It is important for those suffering from Celiac Disease to purchase oats which are certified gluten free. Still, oats may not be safe as a protein in them, avenin, can be a cross-reactor of gluten. Use caution!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 tsp + 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 T + 1/2 T grass-fed butter
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 white mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cups greens, roughly chopped
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup raw cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 eggs
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Cook oats according to package direction with 1/2 tsp salt.
- While oats are cooking, saute onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until almost soft.
- Add mushrooms, tomatoes, and greens to onion and garlic, saute until mushrooms and onions are soft and greens are wilted, about 3 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from heat and add pepper, salt, thyme, and garlic powder, mix well.
- When oats are cooked through add cheese and oats to vegetables and mix.
- While waiting for cheese to melt, in a separate pan, fry eggs in butter over high heat.
- Divide oats into 1 cup servings and top with fried egg and hot sauce (optional).