Eggs-tremely delicious is the only way to describe this recipe! I know, I am so punny 😉 A smoked salmon egg frittata is a surefire way to blow the minds of your house guests…or maybe just your spouse! I posted the picture above on instagram this week and as promised a recipe to follow!
When JJ and I went grocery shopping this past weekend we had a list (because let’s be honest I’m the Sassy Dietitian) but when I ran to go grab some coconut milk I came back to find him holding some smoked salmon in his hands (not on said list) and that adorable puppy dog look like “can we get this, please!” JJ is a fish lover and he did not have to ask me twice, for $4 and tons of omega 3 fats, how could I say no?! Move over fish oil pills!
So when we got home I decided we needed to find a way to use the salmon immediately because it was staring us in the face and knowing JJ he would have eaten the whole package when I turned my back 😉
Enter this amazingly SIMPLE egg frittata (an Italian word for egg dish/crustless quiche) jam packed with healthy fats (from the egg yolk, olive oil and salmon), vitamins galore and antioxidants! This multivitamin slash fish oil non-pill is way tastier than any Flinstones chewable…I promise you…and the fish burps are minimal 😉 So say hello to health and deliciousness!
I decided to top the frittata with goat cheese because I had some leftover from bacon wrapped stuffed dates (should I post that?!)….I think it would taste delicious cooked in the frittata but with JJ’s lactose intolerance I did not want to be selfish and make the frittata for only me! (note: some people who have a lactose intolerance actually have an EASIER time with goat cheese, so give it a try!)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 10 eggs, pastured raised
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (substitute with organic whole milk)
- 2 cups raw spinach, washed
- 5-6 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- pinch of salt
- goat cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic powder, parsley, pepper and salt until it starts to become frothy, set aside.
- In a large (oven-safe) sauté or cast iron pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions become slightly translucent.
- Add spinach and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until wilted.
- Add salmon and stir to combine.
- Turn off burner.
- Re-whisk egg mixture and pour over salmon mixture.
- Place sauté/cast iron pan in oven and cook for 20 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Top with goat cheese.
Let me know what you think below in the comments!