Sassy here and time for your weekly recipe, it’s a new spin on an old favorite (a #tbt for you social media fiends 🙂 )! Get ready to dig into a delicious and yes gluten free Cinnamon French Toast Casserole!
As long as I can remember, my family has had big Sunday brunches every week, right after we went to church. However, I was never a huge fan because it was a guarantee that I would end up on the couch with a GIANT stomach ache. My brother will tell you it’s because I did not want to clean up, my mother will say it was because I ate too fast and I would’ve just said it was the turkey bacon (ew!).
Well, lo and behold some 10-15 years later I LOVE breakfast and no longer get those nasty stomach pains and heartburn. How on earth did I make such a drastic change?!?
By getting RID of the GLUTEN!
Going “gluten-free” gets a bad rap because people think it is just a fad diet, which if you go down most grocery store aisles you’ll note that they are capitalizing on that fact. HOWEVER, gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye that has been found to be incredibly irritating and destructive to most of our guts (it literally hate our guts!). We will talk about gluten and when/why you should eliminate it another time!
As most of you know my mom has celiac disease and while I am not clinically diagnosed I have self-tested and know for a fact that taking out gluten has rid me of my seasonal allergies, GERD/heartburn and the ever dreaded bloated (my buddha belly was very unpleasnt) and pained stomach!
Who would have thought that DELICIOUS french toast would have made me so danged miserable?! Well, ever since kicking the gluten out of my diet (another post some day) I have never felt better but sometimes you just crave a treat here and there and want that comforting Sunday brunch, and so my ever sassy Cinnamon French Toast Casserole was born 🙂
This one is for…
1) My mom and I to enjoy and feel like we get the comfort of Sunday Brunch without the post-meal blues and pains
2) Tommy so he knows I now clean up after my meals!
3) My high-school besties who all shared a half-frozen french toast casserole w/ me one morning…you know who you are and I hope you fully enjoy this!
Pair with some bacon, eggs and coffee for a home-run sunday brunch!
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 pasture-raised eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (14 oz.)
- 5 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl beat eggs, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Add coconut oil slowly while blending wet ingredients
- In a medium bowl sift together coconut flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well. Allow to sit for ~1-2 minutes until mixture has thickened.
- Pour mixture into a greased 8"x8" baking dish and place in oven for 35 minutes or until cooked through.
- While bread is baking, beat all ingredients for the French Toast Egg Mixture together until frothy
- When bread is done, allow to cool for 5 minute then cut into 1" cubes, keeping them in the baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread and toss to coat well. Allow to sit for an additional 5 minutes.
- Bake french toast casserole for 35-40 minutes or until egg mixture is cooked through.