As a follow up to my post on Tailgating Nutrition I wanted to send you a Pearl and Sassy approved chili recipe!
There are entire festivals devoted to the wonderful food that is chili. There are about a bajillion different ingredients you can add to it. This is my most recent twist on a traditional chili but I will soon be coming out with a white chicken chili to fill your belly through the cold winter months! Anytime you make a recipe found here or on our Harvest ebook please take a picture and tag us in it on social media! Don’t forget to use the hashtags #adventuresofsassyandpearl and #teamnutritiongenius
- 1 cup dry kidney beans
- 1/2 lb pasture raised bacon
- 1/2 cup bone stock
- 5 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 small jalepeno, minced
- 1 lb grass fed ground beef
- 1 large white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 T chili powder
- 1 T cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 stalks chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded raw cheddar cheese
- Cook kidney beans according to package instructions, drain and rinse, set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, set aside and reserve bacon grease.
- Add bone stock, tomatoes, zucchini, green pepper, tomato paste, and jalepeno to a large stock pot. Cook over low heat until vegetables are soft and tomatoes start to break down.
- While vegetables are cooking, add ground beef, onions, and garlic to a large skillet with reserved bacon grease over medium heat until beef is browned and cooked to a temperature of 165°F.
- Add chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, garlic powder, oregano, and pepper to beef for the final 5 minutes of cooking.
- Add kidney beans and beef mixture to stock pot and simmer over low heat for ~15 minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Top with crumbled bacon, chives, and cheddar cheese.